Saturday, January 31, 2015

Grateful for blessings

January 12, 2015

Dear family and friends,

 I copied your emails off and read them while we went out to the store
so I read them but I will do my best to answer your questions. So this
area is fairly small, about a square mile, but we have about 400
inactive members we are trying to see. Basically everyone we talk to
on the street is a member who has not come for a multitude of reasons
and excuses, like offences in church and drug and alcohol abuse. There
is a lot of poverty here, more so than I've ever seen in my life. The
sisters that are next door are moving out soon because of how
dangerous our neighbourhood is. Now that I think about it I probably
should not have told Mom that. But we're good. I feel more protected
wearing this name tag and my church clothes any ways. Its been raining
here a lot and quite warm. I'm still wearing my short sleeved shirts.
Thank you also for those "open when" letters you gave me. luckily I have not needed
to open all of them, but they were inspired and have blessed me when I
really needed it. So this week took forever for some reason, and I
think it is because I've been having troubles sleeping. I keep waking
up in the night like four or five times for no reason. Its really been
bumming me out so if it persists I will call someone to figure what's
wrong with me. Hard to imagine something being wrong with me. haha
Just kidding. So this family we are working with that have two kids,
were living together for 9 years, and drinking and tearing their
family apart, got married this weekend! There is no more alcohol in
their lives and they are happy and truly learning. We've seen them
when they first moved in down the street from us. We helped them and
they stank of beer and were saying and doing weird things. But now the
spirit is in their home and they are properly married and preparing
for baptism. It was awesome! I had never had to set up a wedding
before in my life. But now we're pros! haha Sadly Andy, the father,
slipped back and drank at the wedding when we weren't watching, so I
had to tell him he could not be baptized this weekend. That was hard!
My heart was full as we did our best to invite the spirit into their
home. We actually got there and they were fighting and the kids were
playing on the TV, and it felt very unsettling there. The kids got
onto YouTube and searched meet the Mormons, and were searching some
things when Andy said "Stop, play that one!" and it was the Mormon
Tabernacle Choir! We sat there and listened to two songs and
everything quieted down, the conflict was resolved and the spirit was
there to talk about the blessings of living the word of wisdom. 
Okay next is a miracle that I am still floored by. So weeks ago
we gave a blessing to an older Cambodian sister who had lost her
vision. She asked me if I would give her the blessing, and in so doing
I said that she would receive her sight again. I felt hesitant saying
it but was pushed to do so. Nothing came of it for a long time and I
kind of forgot about it till yesterday when our service missionaries
told us that they visited her this week and she is receiving her sight
back! I don't even know what to say. I have given many blessings here
since I was first in the MTC and now in the field, and God has
manifested His power to me yet again and I feel even more humble to
hold His Priesthood power and serve Him. Oh I got a new tie from an
Inner City missionary who helped us organize the marriage of Andy and
Florence. And I bought a volleyball today and got Cafe Rio. And I got
that new wood watch resized and I've made everyone here jealous so
there is a lot of repenting they have to do. haha I love the Atonement
of Christ! It has changed me so much! I love it here! I can't wait to
email you next week! Keep sending me your love!

Love Elder Patterson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment