Monday, September 29, 2014

First email

Ok people, here is Robs first email home from the MTC.

Hello ,
I am not a very quick typer and have little time again as my P day (preparation day) has been eaten up by choir practice. Wow do we sound good though! I am very excited but very nervous to be there at General Conference. They said the camera men make a point of showing every elder singing there so I am pretty sure you'll see me (Grey suit, red and blue stripped tie.) I have so much love for everyone here and all of you, my family and friends. Its so neat because everyone here is here basically for the same purpose. My companion is Elder Willden, and he is a very humble, great man. I have come to love him in the short time here as we share experiences and testimonies and teach investigators here at the MTC. I've learned so much here and the time is weird. I'm so busy and tired I want to go to bed at 10:30. The hours tick by but the days fly by, its weird. The other two elders in my district are Elder Hernandez and Elder Greer both from California. Very awesome Elders. I am a little frustrated with the having a companion all the time by my side thing because I feel bad when I have to do things he doesn't. like when I am singing and he isn't so I have to pair up with random elders every time I go to and from choir, its frustrating. I cant wait to go into the field and meet my Mission President and actually unpack all my stuff and buy my bike. I have very much enjoyed the spirit here at the MTC, it truly is a special place and was dedicated by the Prophet actually, which I didn't know . One aspect I have studied a bit while I have been here is prayer and the role it plays in conversion, more specifically in my conversion because we cannot convert others past our own conversion. Prayer is everything to me. It gives me comfort when nothing else can. I feel the Savior's arms around me as I pour my heart out to our Heavenly Father. I feel the spirit testify of truth when I ask in sincere prayer for specific things I am in need of. I had an awesome opportunity in class to not just know about the Savior, but to know the Savior, and our teacher after reverently bringing the spirit into the room and discussion, took us outside in the dark and we spread out (in sight and sound of our companions) and personally said our own prayers to Heavenly Father to better know the Savior. In my prayer I Prayed to know if what I was doing was right, if all this work and sacrifice was really for me, and I prayed to know what in my life I should do. I can testify that I felt the spirit calm my heart as I started to think of home and all those I missed. I was overcome as my heart burned inside and felt of the love the Savior had for me, and for all the missionaries serving. I suddenly stopped worrying about home, I couldn't worry! I know that everything will be all right and that my family and loved ones will be blessed for my service. I know that prayer is essential in our lives and in the lives of those we can teach and invite to Christ. I love ya'll back at home and wish the best for you. I know you and I are all in God's hands and will be blessed for the time that we give to Him. Don't worry about me, the food's good, my companion is awesome, they have a basketball court, I am looking mighty fine in my new suits and I carry the name of Jesus Christ everywhere I go. it is an honour and a privilege to carry this name badge. Again I love you all and sorry I can not write you all personally yet, but I can promise some poorly handwritten letters will be on there way soon! My mailing address here while I am at the MTC is 

Elder Robert Steven Patterson
OCT07 UT-SLCW
2009 N 900 E Unit 165
Provo UT 84602

and I leave on October 7 then will get you the name of my new place asap.  

No comments:

Post a Comment