Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 9, 2015

Dear Family and Friends, 

this week’s email will not be as good as last weeks because I'm a little slow on the screen keyboard. I am at the p day building. I had a great week. I had a sweet birthday with the Bennett family who made us philly cheese steak sandwiches. And the Azevedo family bought me caffeine free Mountain Dew. We had some great lessons this week. We had a special meeting with Elder Clark of the seventy this week as to missionary work in the digital age and safeguards for technology. It was an amazing, eye opening meeting. I was so grateful, more than I think you know, to have received instruction from Elder Clark and President Swain as well as witnessing the vision of missionary work. Wow was that ever cool! They have this vision they want to start missionary work earlier and earlier, before they even get their call, where there will be virtual districts and you'll be able to be in contact with those you serve and MTC trainers will guide you before, through and then after. You will also complete a program near the end of your mission where you will plan the rest of your life out so you retain yourself in the gospel. It has always troubled my mind or been on the back burner as to how I can follow in Dad and Greg’s footsteps and become a good husband and father someday. I honestly was nervous to be given such technology as a missionary because I knew I would be tempted to misuse it in some form or another, but it has proven to be a blessing to me. I loved this quote by Elder Nelson that was shared, "In this evermore technological world, the way to prepare these missionaries for their future is not to quarantine them from, but to prepare them for, technology... Now is the time for them to learn to avoid temptations and snares that they will surely encounter when they return home... If we can immunize our youth by engraving the doctrine in their hearts, we can raise a strain of sin-resistant souls." That quote just gave me such hope for the future because I know that the world is getting to be a physically and spiritually dangerous place, but I know and can find peace in the comforting and inspiring words of the prophets and apostles today. Several other missionaries and I have since talked about our feelings of that meeting and I have been edified and uplifted each time by the testimonies of these wonderful missionaries I serve with. I am grateful for such an inspired program to be put through as a missionary where I learn to live in the world but not of the world. I want to be one of those obedient missionaries that were talked about by Elder Clark. I try to be, I really do, and I know that you can empathize with me, those of you who served missions, when I say that it is very difficult to give every ounce of yourself every day. But I also know that I am making my Savior happy with the effort I am giving to this work, and I know it is only because of my examples around me and the Spirit which drives me to do good in all aspects of my life. I am so very grateful for the Holy Ghost. He truly has been a comforter of my soul when I need it, and a guide to my eyes and ears which have been hard of seeing and hearing. I know I could not be the missionary I am today without the Atonement which has humbled me and brought me such peace of conscience. I am very happy to be a missionary, and especially at this wonderful time! 



Love Elder Patterson


No comments:

Post a Comment