Wednesday, October 7, 2015

July 20, 2015, 24 hours in a Day!

Dear Family and Friends,

I feel like I am at the point in my mission already where it is more scary and weird to think about coming home than anything else. I often find myself saying "when I get home..." but I can only say that now because I am still far enough away from home that it doesn't bother me. This Stake that I am in feels more like home now. I am closer to these people in this Stake than I have been to the people in my Stake back home because I am serving them and the Spirit can seal friendships faster and stronger than anything else. I am very anxious for transfers next week because I have come to love these people with all my heart and there are so many new opportunities each day to serve and get to know new people who so easily make their way into my heart. I know I have been blessed with a capacity to love others in quiet, unnoticeable  ways and I have sought out those opportunities while I am here, and my charity grows each day by doing these small simple things. I have written a few anonymous letters to some of the people we're working with or members who have just been on my mind lately and who need encouragement.  In them I share a few scriptures, along with my honest insight into their lives and examples that they are to me, then I sign the letter "Sincerely, your friend." We sat with these two sisters on Sunday in the 9th Ward to whom I had given the night before one of those letters. They are such dedicated and strong spirits, for they are the only two in their family who go to church, their parents are in-active and want nothing to do with the church. It breaks my heart to see so many wonderful saints struggling here, stuck in their circumstances, and in my capacity as a missionary I can't help them, so as a quiet and anonymous friend I try to uplift, encourage, inspire and bless their lives. While we sat in church I noticed these two sisters pull my note out during the meeting and read it. It brought tears to their eyes and they quietly were trying to find out who it was, they went around asking people but they couldn't find out who, as I just sat there quietly beside them. The more I serve without recognition, the more I love these people and don't want to leave. Our numbers have dropped a lot and these people in this stake are struggling a lot, and my heart aches for them, I want to serve here forever. That is some of my greatest reason for returning here very soon after my mission. There is a great work happening here, but my ways are not the Lord's and His will for this area and this people are better than mine. I have grown so much in these last few months. I am very excited and enthusiastic about the work and I absolutely love teaching now! I've seen much of my Patriarchal Blessing come to pass here in this area. I have been so blessed to have been here this long and to gain such relationships as I have. I have really come to love these people and I can't describe it or stop talking about it! It will be a very sad day when I have to leave though, because eventually I will have to. My talking and social skills have grown a lot as well, and I just seem to have an instant love for people as I meet them. 

Elder Dawson, my companion is from Gilmore, Texas, and has a decent accent. He is a very patient and humble man. He has gone through a lot of trials in his life that would cause me to waver a lot, but he has remained strong in the church and is now serving a mission, which he has been out for almost 6 months on. He makes serving very easy, for he and I are obedient and work hard together. He is amazing at guitar as well! He was home schooled and spent all of his free time playing guitar in his room. He loves Brad Paisley and can play a lot of his stuff. 

Also I bought some stuff to make cookies and I made a couple of plates for some families in our wards. I made a sweet, three tiered box that attaches to my bike. I bought a small carrying thing on the back of my bike which just sit above the back tire. I strapped this box on the bike and we went and delivered these cookies. That was fun! Oh and we got little odometers for our bikes so I know how long I ride for, how far, and how fast! So this week We travelled over 97 Kilometers and my max speed was 47.7 Km/h. Its so awesome! Seriously I think my legs have grown a little, because we've been biking like that for 5 weeks now. 

We all have 24 hours in a day, if you use that time wisely or not doesn't change the hours in a day. We meet many people who say they are too busy, that their schedule is too crazy and that they just don't have the time. What I want to say to that is something Mom would often tell me, and that is just 'Bologna!!!" We all have the same time to serve those around us and to ultimately serve God, so why is it that some have ample time to give of themselves and others don't? It all depends on where their heart is, where their priorities lie, and what sign they wish to show their Heavenly Father. For a long time I was the one who came up with excuses, who "didn't" have time, I was very selfish and wasted a lot of my time on youthful, diminished and selfish goals and pursuits. I could've served more wholly in my callings and served those around me, especially my family. I want you all to know that I am working right now; that I am serving and giving everything I have been given, including my time, talents and other resources, to bless the wonderful sons and daughters of God here in this valley. I am working and becoming more of a man of God, who will sacrifice a lot more for you when I return home because I have come to love you all more since I've been gone. Your voices ring throughout my mind and heart everyday and I am often reminded of your kind and heavenly gestures of love towards me in the past. I love you all so very much and am blessed to have come to your family to be blessed by your friendship and time. I don't know what I would've done without you all. You have shaped me into the man I am today by your examples that I try to emulate. Please don't take for granted the blessing of time your Heavenly Father has given you. Please use every waking and free moment to serve, both in small and large means, for you never know how much of an impact you can have for good in someone else's life, so why take the chance not to be that blessing in someone's life? I promise you that the time you make in your 24 hours to serve others will change your heart, your mind, your will, and your life. Charity is the pure love of Christ, and without it we are nothing, so please learn from my bad example and serve now while it is yet easy, for we can all do more. :) 


Love Elder Patterson 


My three-tiered Cookie transporting box 






 This is Matt Roy who was just baptized before I got here and we are working with him every week, he is awesome! His son photo-bombed the picture.


Arianna and Andy Cook from my first area! Remember the Cooks? 


No comments:

Post a Comment