Wednesday, October 7, 2015

September 1, 2015

Dear Family and Friends

So yeah let me first answer all your questions...

I would like to tell you my plans for my future that I am looking into. So obviously I am not spending much time looking into school and all this stuff but it comes up in basically every conversation we have with people. They ask:
•What's your name?
•Where are you from?
•How long have you been out?
•What are your plans when you get home?

When I get asked these things I don't have to think very hard about the first 3 questions, but the last one I have been researching in my mind and prayers. I didn't want to go to school here or live here when I first came out on my mission. That is why my new found love of this place and aspiration to enroll here is startling me. However, I have been praying and searching through my experiences these last few months and I know that God is somehow guiding me. First of all everyone I talk to speaks very highly of the University of Utah and its wonderful medical program. They even have the hospital there on campus. The area over by the school is awesome! I have been given opportunities to be in the hospitals on the East side there on the campus to give blessings and I like the area. Even though I am in BYU territory, I have not met very many fans of them. Everyone love the U. I taught a family who gave me a red Utah shirt, and many other experiences, both small and big. Someone who used to work on the top floor of the JS memorial building in the restaurants offered to get me a job when I come back as a waiter making 16-20$ an hour! I have also been offered a job working at one of the ski resorts, and so on. I read my setting apart blessing that Mel wrote down for me, and one of the last things it said is that the people I serve here will sink deep into my heart. That is happening everyday and I really want to continue to serve them and spend time with them after my mission, especially if I desire to go to school here. I don't know what it takes to go to school out of the country though. I hear that LDS business college offers free tuition for a set amount of time for those who serve missions here? Anyways, that is all happening in the back of my mind as I notice small and simple things that God places in my path that lead me to believe that I should consider coming to school here. However the other night when I was praying before bed, I thought about how much I love my family. I miss you all so very much. I cried a lot as I remembered the blessings that each of my siblings and parents have been in my life. I want to continue to be in your lives and to bless you with my service to you but I want to come to school here and start my life and pursue my goals. I am really feeling torn about this. But I have another year before I need to really worry about it. 

So Elder Dawson and I have been having a lot of success here in this area. We have put 5 people in the last 4 days on date to be reactivated, and we will be having a baptism on Saturday, and we found 2 new investigators. We have a lesson every hour in the evening 7 days a week. We are struggling now to get everyone fit into our schedule. It is kind of a good problem. My Patriarchal Blessing and the blessings I have received since from my mission presidents and others have been coming to pass! It is so wonderful to see God's hand in my life and how He softly directs us toward bigger and better things. When one door closes, God opens a window. 

I don't remember if I told you but the Locke's met us last Monday and took us out to eat for dinner. We ate at Leatherby's which is THE ice-cream heaven. WOW! I just got a small banana split and I almost puked it was so much ice-cream! It was HUGE! and we shared a bunch of frys that I dipped in my ice-cream. It was so good, but it was even better to see them again. Ever since I first met them I felt right at home with them. They are like my home away from home. I have grown to love them so much while I served them and their family. I look forward to future plans and memories in store with that wonderful family. 

We went to Clive Romney's home today for an hour. He is one of our Ward Mission Leaders in the Crosspointe Ward and he is the man who wrote "Scripture Power" in the children's songbook. He is a very famous musician and a wonderful man. He gave me an hour and we recored one of my songs I wrote on my mission about the Savior. It is not my best , but it is really good for one take. Mom and Dad, I am so grateful you helped me develop my talents to a point that I can bless and inspire people here. I am not great but I can invite the Spirit into a home in such a different and powerful way with music. I love music and and thankful for the lessons you provided me. 

Love Elder Patterson 

We also ate dinner this week with a guy who collected old cars! Check these out! 








Ireland Meyer, we have been teaching her the last month and she is being baptized this weekend. She is the most prepared 9 year old I have ever met. She has great support from her parents. Her dad is not a member and her mom is returning to church and we are working with her as well. We took them to Temple Square this last weekend! It was great! 




No comments:

Post a Comment