Monday, June 20, 2016

May 16, 2016

Dear wham bam thank you fam, 

I'm running out of different things to call you all. Maybe one of these times I'll just say "dear family," but till I completely run out of name ideas I will continue finding creative ways to call you the people I love most in the world. 

Right now I am at the point in my life (and my mission) where I know how to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ to other people so that they can understand and appreciate it, but I myself have a difficult time applying these principles in my own life. There are so many ways to experience the lessons God wants us to learn to re-enter His presence someday. There isn't a cookie-cutter trial or opportunity for "patience" that we all have to experience to gain that Christ-like attribute. We each in our individual stations may receive the perfect instruction through our experience of mortal life to advance to our next estate, thus qualifying for the peace of the Spirit and calmness of conscience promised to the righteous. 

I have found myself in much different circumstances the last number of weeks that have brought me to deep reflection of myself and my personal goals to refine and receive qualities and attributes to bless my life and the lives of those around me. The apartment we live in is of the highest quality I've ever been in on my mission, my companion is loving, kind and very obedient and hard working. The area we are serving in is booming with work to do and people to see. We have many baptisms and reactivations as well as numberless opportunities to serve and give of ourselves in behalf of these wonderful people we have come to love with all our hearts. The environment I am in is extremely conducive to growth, because I am being pushed to my limit every day in some way or another, whether that is spiritually, emotionally or physically. I can push myself because when I come home after a long day, I have little to no worries or trials; I have no regrets about the day because I gave it all and left it all on the playing field. In fact most days I can't even give it my all. I have to plead with Heavenly Father for the strength to press forward and to do what is asked of us because I am so drained that I couldn't possibly do any part of the work on my own. I know very well when I receive strength beyond my own, and it is humbling to see how God blesses His children when our desires and works are righteous. For instance, this week we had an encounter with a man who powerfully fought against us and the truth we stood for. It was a different experience from the first half of our day as we were now sitting on this man's couch being instructed that our testimonies were falsely paced in ungodly truth, that we could not say "I know" because knowledge cannot come to us through feelings of the Spirit because those are universal feelings that all humans feel. He explained how there was no sin, no eternal progression to become perfect like our Savior is perfect, and how our morals and commandments come from us, not God. It was hurtful to be told that the essence of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true because it makes us want to better ourselves and serve those around us, but that the organization (Prophets, apostles, priesthood authority, revelation, and scripture) was bull crap. This man used a lot stronger language than what I've been using. This was the first time someone denounced our testimony of what we know to be true because of the sources we gathered our "truth" from. I was frustrated! I was shaken in several different ways as my faith was tried to a very real limit, which I felt affect me like never before. I continued to pray but this man's words rang in my mind over and over again tempting me to doubt. I prayed and prayed to strengthen my faith and to receive personal revelation as to the honest questions I had about this encounter. I read the Book of Mormon a lot and even fasted to know what I must do. In time I received my answer which sunk deep within my soul and extracted those doubtful thoughts and questions. I was reminded almost all at once my many answers to prayers and experiences I've had that have faithfully proven to me of the loving, and living reality of our Heavenly Father and of His Son Jesus Christ. Although this week was filled with many trials, I was strengthened and taught many things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. Many of these lessons are personal and for my individual betterment so I won't share all my experiences but I will share those I feel will inspire or uplift some of you. 

We had a super busy and awesome week besides the trials and opposition we faced. There's a man named Scott Godfrey and he has a daughter, Faith Jones that we are teaching in one of our wards and he has a Mustang that he has restored and was asked to enter a car show with on Saturday. We scheduled on Friday to come over and wash it and get it shining again. It was pretty fun! The best part was that after we helped him wash it he took us out and showed us what it could do on the pavement. Whew! That baby purred! It sounded so deep and loud that my whole soul shook when he opened that thing up out on the highway! :) it was so awesome! 

We also met with another man who we promised many blessings too through the prompting of the Spirit that was with us if he came to church on Sunday. He said that he can't because he was having some people come and lay some pipe and set up his sprinkler system. We right away volunteered all the possible time we could on Saturday to help him that he would be able to come to church. From 12-4 which is basically the hottest part of the day (and it was a hot day!) we swung pick axes, shovels, rock picks, and sledge hammers to break up the extremely rocky, desert ground. I got very sunburned and my arms were so tired that I could hardly shake people's hands, even the next day at church! I could barely lift them and squeeze barely the hands of the people we greeted on Sunday to church. Sadly they did not come to church. We went after church and found him still working on his yard. No worries, agency is a gift from God! :)

We also had a baptism this weekend! It was with possibly the oldest person I will ever baptize. Sister Eloise McCoullough was 79 years old when she was baptized yesterday! It was one of the coolest baptisms ever! The Spirit was super strong! A lot of her family came out and were super supportive. I was asked to give a talk on the Holy Ghost after she was baptized. We then got to confirm her right after the baptismal service and give the gift of the Holy Ghost, and confirm her a member of the Church! They had dinner afterward and one of the desserts was cracker brittle!!! Ahhhh! I didn't know anyone else knew what that was! I ate a whole plate full of cracker brittle, instead of eating the food, because we ate before the baptism with a family in one of our wards. We will be having another super cool baptism next week of an 18 year girl who is super cool and super prepared! She knows so much about the gospel and does so much that she seems already like a member of the church. She is going to a mission prep class, seminary, church every Sunday, and mutual activities each week! 

A lot more happened but I need to go now. Sorry! :) hope you all have a great week! Thank you for your unending support! I really love serving here and hope I can learn to serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength for the rest of my life and into the eternities, because my Savior has changed me forever! :) till next week! 

Love 
Elder Patterson 

Here is us and Eloise!


For our planning session this week I taped a marker on the end of a swiffer duster so that my companion didn't have to get up to write on the board. I also taped a white board eraser onto the end of our broom. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment